Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Tip and Technique Wednesday

Hello and Happy Wednesday!

It's tutorial day here on the blog and this week I am going to give you a few tips on working with a sketch.  Next week I will show you how to use the same single page layout sketch to create a card.

I started with this sketch from July 1st......


And this is the layout I created......

 
I kept this layout fairly true to the sketch, but the beauty of a sketch is that you totally have creative license to make it your own.  It truly is a starting off point and you can take your layout wherever you want it to go.   For instance you can  turn the sketch side ways or up side down.  You can use a few small photos instead of one large photo.  You can use patterned paper or card stock where ever you would like. You can use edge punches instead of having straight lines.  You can use more or less embellishments.  The possibilities are endless.


As the sketch suggested I used a circular embellishment around the title and placed the title on this semi circle above the photo.


The sketch had butterflies on it, but flowers and a bumblebee worked better for me, you can choose to use which ever embellishments you would like, to help reinforce your theme.  The sketch helps suggest locations for embellishments that will help to balance your layout, but again you can do anything you like to make it your own.


The sketch suggested a large scalloped edge punch along the lower portion of the layout, but I chose to use a few semi circles in the same pattern as my large semi circle to help tie the colours together and repeat the shape.  A bonus tip, I used a green flower as 'leaves' for my crocheted flower by cutting off a couple of petals.

Adding dimension also helps to make the layout your own.  You can decide where your project needs a little or a lot of pop.

I love seeing how we all interpret a sketch and the varied end results.  Don't forget each week you can send me your layouts created using my sketches, to have them featured on the blog.  Read how to do this on friday's sketch post.

Thank you for popping by to visit!  I hope you have a scrappy day!

Laura
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment